HOLY CROSS, BURRUMBUTTOCK
In April 1884, the congregation purchased to buy land from a reflectional reserve in Burrumbuttock for the purpose of build a church and manse. The building of the church was designed, built and finished in 1888 and a dedication service was held by the then residing Pastor Harms on the 9th December.
Following are some extracts of a report of the opening service;
"Sunday last was a gala day at Burrumbuttock, the occasion being the formal opening of a new church just completed for the local congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran denomination. The building was designed by Mr. E. Teppe of Wodonga, and the contractor was Mr. Henry Menz of Burrumbuttock (who also was the builder and owner of the hotel, known as the "Farmers Inn). The cost of the building including fitting was about 700 pounds. The minister in carge is the Rev. C Harms, and the completion of so fine a church speaks volumes for his influence and energy".
"From an early hour in the morning, vehicles of all kinds loaded with families, began to arrive. By 9 0'clock, the bush for a space of 50 acres around the church was covered with buggies, waggonettes, spring carts, saddle-horses, and the people they had transported from far and near".
"A closing service was held at the old church (4 miles away) and a procession was formed by members of the local congregation headed by Pastor Harms. It was close to 6pm, before the services were brought to a close, and the largest assemblage ever gathered together at Burrumbuttock (up to that time) finally dispersed".
Howlong Road, Burrumbuttock
Church Address: Howlong Road, Burrumbuttock NSW
Service Time: See service times
Burrumbuttock Contact Noel & Myrna Frohling 02 6026 3225
Ladies Fellowship Joan Schilg 02 6057 3117
Prayer Chain Co-ordinator Liz Schuz 02 6026 3273
or 0409 443 041
Parish Office Bev Harding 02 6026 1876
Parish Email firstname.lastname@example.org