ST. PETER'S, GEROGERY
The township of Gerogery is very widespread. Originally a farming area it is now mostly subdivided into hobby or lifestyle blocks. The town centres around the hotel, general store and the church.
St. Peter's has always played an important role in the community such as hosting the towns Easter and Christmas celebrations, carvery dinner nights and crisis relief.
The present hall was build in 1997 and is a great facility for both church and community functions. The hall is used by the local fire brigade or can be hired for parties and functions. Even though the church is located not in the centre of the town, it is a "meeting spot" for the community providing a place of refuge and support, as displayed in the 2009 bush fires that ravaged Gerogery.
The congregation is very much a family affair with foundation families still worshiping there today.
When you visit St. Peter's you can't help but feel welcome, the people are friendly and they always have a hearty morning tea and warm tea/coffee just waiting for visitors!
Church Address: Glenellen Road, Gerogery West, NSW
Service Times: See Service Times
Gerogery Contact Noel & Ann Salzke 02 6026 3409
Ladies Fellowship Ann Salzke 02 6026 3409
Prayer Chain Co-ordinator Liz Schulz 02 6026 3273
or 0409 443 041
Parish Office Bev Harding 02 6026 1876
Parish Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Glenellen Road, Gerogery
St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Gerogery is the oldest continuous running Lutheran church in New South Wales.
The area was first settled in 1866 and a Parish was formed with Jindera and Wodonga, with the minister as Pastor J. F Goessling.
Church services were conducted in a house on Greenwood Road, and where the existing church stands now were originally tennis courts.
1st May 1869, the first church building was dedicated. Members of the congregation donated the land, and the church was built by congregational "working bees". It was mud with a straw roof, and was used for 51 years until the present building was opened. It also included a day school room and teachers accommodation.
3rd October 1920 the present building was dedicated and to this day is in excellent condition and is sought after for many weddings and baptisms because of it's charming characteristics and tranquil setting.